Interview with Duke's Paint Art
Interview with Duke’s Paint Art. German pro painter Sascha is one of the painters we have supported for a long time. As @dukes_paint_art online, you will have seen his amazing boxart work for several high profile games companies. At Redgrassgames we love to support such talent, so naturally we had to ask Duke all about himself and his hobby top tips! Read on for more…
1. Interview with Duke’s Paint Art – When did you start painting at what you would consider a serious level? What do you think makes a ‘pro painter’?
“I’ve always been serious, I had to be because I grew up in a ghetto. Warhammer gave us a kind of peace. I have always painted since I was 15 years old and my teacher was a dark gothic guy he was so freaky good at painting^^.
But I made a long break about 10 years. In my mid-20s I painted for the GW Stores and began with the commission painting. And GW wanted to take me to England but I refused. Btw I won a wandering Slayer Sword.
I needed this painting as a balance to my profession, I have been very long in management consulting / bank/investor relations activities. You cannot say when you are a professional because you are always learning.”
2. What words describe your painting?
“Box Art Cover Art. You look at the box and decide that’s what you want, or?”
3. Interview with Duke’s Paint Art – Do you have any artistic training or qualifications?
“Artistic background no, I painted for Cmon, GW, OrzolStudios, Knight Models, Prodosgames AVP (for which I even co-designed the German rules) and for many private collectors. I am connected with most high-ranking painters and we exchange and there you learn the most!”
4. Interview with Duke’s Paint Art – How do you start a new piece: what inspires you to paint a new miniature?
“I paint only what I feel like and what appeals to me: Batman, Samurais, Warhammer stuff and Infinity…. only the companies whose quality is also high and which also put a value on coolness.”
5. Do you have any other ‘creative’ hobbies you do? Do you feel they benefit one another in any way?
“My Daughter HAHAHA -and I like to build/decorate our apartment ^^”
6. Interview with Duke’s Paint Art – What is the miniature you have painted that you are the proudest of?
“All of them at once!”
7. Interview with Duke’s Paint Art – Is there a model you have already painted you would love to paint again, what would you improve?
“I improve all my models after a time, it is a constant journey to develop ^^”
8. From your experience, what were the most difficult techniques to learn and to master?
“Lights and Shadows!”
9. Do you play any games with your miniatures, or just paint?
“Of course, I play Batman & Warhammer and AVP (Alien vs Predator).”
10. What advice would you give to newer painters in terms of setting hobby goals?
“Look at my Youtube Lessons 1-10, Just as simple as that ^^”